Corrugated partitions are an excellent green packaging solution because, just like corrugated boxes, they typically have a high recycled content, are reusable, 100% recyclable/repulpable, biodegradable and even compostable. Also, when they are designed and used properly, they usually minimize or eliminate the need and use of other, less green, products.
In our opinion, there are few packaging products as green as corrugated partitions, yet many people simply do not understand how to design and purchase them. Here are a few facts that may help you utilize this unique and valuable green packaging solution:
- Corrugated Partitions Are Available in Small Quantities – There are no “stock” partitions available, and of course set up time has its expected impact on a short run of any product, but we have run as few as 200 partitions for a customer with limited usage. A common misconception is that you have to order large quantities of partitions in order to use them.
- Corrugated Partitions Can Be Made in a Variety of Board Grades – The most common partition grade is 32C, which is more than sufficient for most applications. However, there are situations when a heavier board is required. For example, partitions used to ship Volcano Island Honey (pictured above) are made of 48B/C, double wall because the product is glass, very dense/heavy and, as you would expect for a product made in Hawaii, always ships via boat or plane.
- Corrugated Partitions Can Be Made With or Without a Perimeter Air Cell – It depends on what you are shipping and how you are shipping it, but a perimeter air cell (pictured in photo above) can help prevent side impact damage by providing a reinforced air “cushion.”
- Corrugated Partitions Deliver Labor Savings – We have helped many customers eliminate costly bubble, foam or paper hand-wrapping operations. Not only are these efforts to protect the product always laborious, but also in many cases they prove to be ineffective and result in damage.
- Corrugated Partitions Are Available Assembled or Unassembled – We still occasionally run into a customer who loves partitions but hates the assembly that is sometimes required. They simply don’t realize that for a slight additional cost, the partitions can be automatically assembled by the manufacturer. Note: pre-assembled partitions take up more room compared to unassembled ones and are thereby more expensive to ship and store. Most customers, however, agree the labor savings more than offsets that additional expense.
- Corrugated Partitions Can Reduce Box Costs — Much as vertical columns or walls help support a ceiling or roof, properly designed partitions tremendously improve a box’s strength (as demonstrated in this picture), especially for stacking purposes. In some cases, this enables partition users to reduce box grade and cost while delivering a stronger overall shipping container to their customers.
- RSC and Die Cut Boxes Can Be Designed with Built in Partitions – There are many examples of when this makes economic sense because it eliminates the need to stock two packaging SKU’s, may result in a lower overall cost and reduces packaging labor cost as well.
We offer a wide variety of internal, protective, green packaging products including molded pulp, paper and even plastic solutions like our biodegradable bubble packaging or inflated air pillows. So a complete application review is always recommended.
Please contact us if you have any questions or if you would like to discuss your specific needs.
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER RELATED BLOG POSTS:
Sustainable Packaging Solution – Corrugated Partitions
Corrugated Partitions Are a Fine Sustainable Packaging Option
Green, Cost Saving Packaging by Combining Stock and Custom Products